The spring is traditionally one of the most popular times for moving. And, with the housing market back on track, even more people are taking the leap this season and trading in their current home for their dream home. Once you’ve made this decision and are turning your attention to the actual move, keep in mind that the moving process can be difficult and cause stress for your body. Here are 5 moving safety tips to prevent injuries from Caron Chiropractic, your local, trusted St Paul Chiropractor.
- Watch individual box weight: When you are packing, try to limit what you include in each box to 50 lbs so that it can be lifted without physical strain. Consider renting equipment like a dolly for heavier items.
- Lifting technique: Always squat and lift boxes with your legs. Do not bend over at the waist, this puts too much pressure on your back and can lead to injury.
- Be aware of your surroundings: Before you begin moving boxes to/from the moving truck, take a few minutes to walk your route to and from your property and pay attention for uneven sidewalks, poles, posts, or other debris in your path, and make sure that you are familiar with any stairs that you need to climb. Being familiar with your route dramatically decreases the likelihood of a fall.
- Wear protective clothing/shoes: Be sure to wear closed-toed shoes during a move. Sneakers with good support and traction are ideal to provide protection and help prevent slipping. Comfortable clothes that are not too loose will prevent snags and tears.
- Ask for help: Doing too much during a move can put too much strain on your body, which increases your risk for injury, particularly in your back and neck. If you get tired, rest for a bit, drink water and find friends, family or neighbors who can help you move heavier items.
Chiropractic Adjustments After A Move
If you do find yourself with back, neck or other pain after a move, the team at Caron Chiropractic Clinic of St Paul, MN can help. We can provide short or long term chiropractic treatments following a move or other physically strenuous event. We also offer massage treatment as well as physical therapy to help your body get back to a healthy state. You can schedule your appointment at our St Paul office quickly by calling 651-255-9999 and our team will help develop a treatment plan that will get you back on your feet in no time!