October is National Chiropractic Month! Have Your Spine Checked Today!
This fall, chiropractors across the country will highlight ways you can feel your best every day, regardless of your age, occupation or fitness level, during National Chiropractic Health Month in October. This year’s theme—“Find Your Game”—focuses on how everyone can take steps toward optimal health, wellness and functioning.
From ‘weekend warriors’ to active grandparents, people have a wide range of health and wellness goals. Your chiropractor can offer help by providing nutritional advice, exercise and healthy lifestyle recommendations and natural approaches to managing injuries, aches and pains.
In honor of National Chiropractic Health Month, we offer these tips to help you find your game:
- Get moving: You don’t have to train like an Olympian, just aim for a minimum of 20 to 30 minutes of exercise three to four days a week. Study after study has conclusively shown that keeping active—whether through sports, exercise, or everyday chores—will help you to live longer and enjoy each day more. Active people have a reduced risk of heart disease, obesity, diabetes, and some forms of cancer. They generally have a more positive outlook on life and the energy to get things done and make things happen. Sounds like a pretty good return on an investment of just 30 minutes a day.
- Stretch daily: Improving flexibility is key to avoiding injury. Make a habit of stretching your major muscle groups each day.
- Bust stress: New activities and experiences help prevent professional and personal burnout. Finding your game involves discovering new activities you enjoy.
- Eat right: Even a few simple changes can have a positive impact on your health. Limit red meat, sugar and salt; and don’t self-prescribe dietary supplements. Consult a health care professional to ensure your body gets the nutrients it needs to function optimally.
- Recharge: Try to sleep more each night, and revitalize with a glass of pomegranate juice and a brisk walk in the afternoon. Rest, exercise and good nutrition can put pep back into your step.
What’s Your Health Goal?
So what’s your health goal? Do you want to finish a local 5k road race? Maybe you want to have more energy after work, or play with your grandchildren without pain. The good news is that all of these everyday victories are possible with just a few healthy lifestyle changes. If you don’t know where to start, your doctor of chiropractic can help you by providing nutrition counseling, exercise recommendations, lifestyle advice and natural, drug-free approaches to treating aches and pains such as spinal manipulation.
Don’t Get Stuck Living On The Sidelines!!! Find Your Game!
The benefits of fitness are yours for the taking, regardless of age, gender or physical ability, so in the words of Olivia Newton John, get physical! There are a million different ways you can incorporate fitness into your life. Check out a local climbing wall or hiking trail, take a Yoga class. The type of activity is irrelevant. All that matters is you’re moving!